Monday, August 3, 2015

A Good Note to End On

After graduating high school I spent 13 months in America floundering like a fish out of water, knowing deep in my heart that God had something bigger in store for me. Then, I moved back to Rwanda and have spent the last 13 months thriving like a fish in water.

It’s been 26 months since I graduated high school? Yikes.

And now my 26 gap-months are coming to an end and it’s time to go back to America. But this time I’m ready. I’m so ready. God has prepared my heart and given me peace and confidence. What more do I need?

I’m down to my last full day in Rwanda, but before I go let’s reminisce a bit…

From July 1st, 2014 to August 4th, 2015 I experienced rest (first and foremost), new relationships, an internship with a USAID organization, various trips around Rwanda, traveling to South Africa, to Uganda, to the UAE, and to Kenya, working with Young Life, tutoring and instrument lessons, playing my clarinet, directing a music camp, volunteering with various children’s ministries, and lots and lots of babysitting.

It has been a remarkable year. I’m really overcome with love and thankfulness.

My heart is mixed. It’s ready to go and yet longing to remain.

I will miss driving my scooter around town, zipping through traffic. However, I will not miss being run off the road by buses and trucks, being bullied by motos, and that ever-present helmet hair.

I probably won’t miss the electricity and water inconsistencies.

I’ll miss Rwandan buffets and Vitamilk biscuits and Digestives, and Stoney. (Although, I do have enough Stoney packed in my suitcase to get me through my first semester.)
A delicious ginger soft drink
I’ll miss funny and confusing conversations in broken Kinyarwanda/English/French.

I probably won’t miss being stared at all the time.

I’ll miss the eagerness to lend a helping hand every time I get a flat tire or run out of gas. (One or the other happens at least once a month and there are always people around ready to help push my scooter to the nearest station.)

I’ll miss my expat friends/family and the relationships I have here.

I’ll cherish all of these memories.

I marvel at how God has used all these people and places and opportunities of the last 13 months to continue to shape me and grow me and bring me closer to Him and guide me on the path He has called me to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment