Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Another New Home

I’ve spent the last week in Minnesota at the University of Northwestern and it has been awesome – I mean that in the holiest way possible. I had never seen Northwestern prior to moving in on Wednesday so I really didn’t know what I was getting into. I knew that God was calling me to this school for reasons that He has not yet revealed to me, so here I am, richly and abundantly blessed.

From the moment I sent in my deposit to Northwestern back in March I have had a peace that surpasses all my understanding and confidence to start a new life here, in a new country, a new state, a new culture. This is what God is asking of me for the next three to four years, so here I am.

And now I want to shout from the mountaintops. Our God is so good! Now that I’m here on campus I’ve been awestruck by how His ways are so much better than my ways. I’m thankful that He led me to this school, that He had this school in mind for me a long time ago.

The direction that my life has gone thus far is not at all what I expected. When you give God control of your life, exciting things happen! Excitement doesn’t necessarily mean that you get to move all over the world and experience a bunch of different cultures; it just means that you live a life of whimsy, a life out of control. You never really know what to expect, so everything is a beautiful surprise.

So, a couple things about my new home:
1-     It’s cold. I know, I know, you guys all tried to tell me. God certainly has a sense of humor sending this African girl to the north.
2-      I have way more friends than I ever thought possible for an introvert. But I like them all…especially my fellow TCKs. Although exhausting, meeting new people has its elements of fun.
3-      I have two really cool roommates. That’s another way that God has really blessed my college experience thus far.
4-      Oh, and I broke my first law of Minnesota today. One of my roommates and a Honduran friend rode our bikes to a local coffee shop and to Wal-mart. Apparently, riding your bike on the main road is illegal, which I didn’t know, as I made a left-hand turn and went out into traffic, while my two friends went straight on the quiet neighborhood road. Thankfully, nothing really happened, so this story just got pretty anti-climactic. I navigated my way back to my friends and it really wasn’t a big deal. But just so you know, if you ever come to Minnesota, be careful where you ride your bike.

Classes start tomorrow and I’m really ready to get started, which I guess is a good thing considering the fact that I don’t have a choice. I know that I’m in an exposed place, susceptible to attack, because I’m exactly where God wants me and mountaintop experiences can’t last forever. Praise God with me for His faithfulness and great plan for my life and pray with me for His protection and continued guidance.

Also, a few of you have asked for my address so here it is:

Grace Gaskill, MC# 1740
University of Northwestern
3003 Snelling Avenue N.
St. Paul, Minnesota 55113

1 comment:

  1. Grace, it is so amazing to watch you discover your path, following hard after the will of God. Blessings, sweet friend!
    Marie Shull

    ReplyDelete