Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Why Living in a Post-Modern Society isn’t all it’s Cracked up to Be

You and I live in a post-modern world, totally surrounded by it. I’ve been aware of it, but I have never really comprehended it. I’ve sort of just accepted it as my reality because I didn’t think I had any other choice. But now that I am a slightly more educated theologian, I actually have the wherewithal to take a stance on the matter. So here we go:

Before post-modernism there was (you guessed it) modernism. It was a simpler time when things could be defined and known and understood. It was cut and dry, black and white. We could learn things about the world around us through scientific means and reason. There was an absolute truth. There was a certain level of structure that accompanied modernism. Rules, guidelines, truth, certainty, t’s-crossed-I’s-dotted-loose-ends-tied.

But, gone are the days of certainty. Post-modernists have a new perception of truth: the reality of truth is connected with the observer; truth is meant to be self-validating; what you make out to be true is true.

So this is how we’ve found ourselves in the “equal-rights-openness-tolerance-coexist-speak-up-but-don’t-offened-anymore” awkward tip-toe dance that we all do. Does anyone have a voice anymore? Or, does everyone have a voice? Some of this “equal-rights-openness-tolerance-coexist” dance is valid, but how much is too much?

Post-modernists argue that modernists are close-minded, lacking passion and receptiveness because they are too caught up in the rules and guidelines of tradition. But I wonder, Is there a way to be both open-minded and structured? Does having your t’s crossed and your I’s dotted mean you don’t have passion? Can these two worlds of modernism and post-modernism exist together or has post-modernism won the fight?

The Church has responded to the post-modernism movement. Some have made the choice to embrace the movement. New churches have been established with services that are innovative, and dare I say, provocative. For example: communion with Coke and graham crackers or people having the freedom to carry on a conversation about any topic while others are worshiping. There is no real structure or guidelines to the content of the service because everyone is seen as "right" in whatever they do and whatever they believe. They (post-modern Churches) desire to get away from the rigid box of traditional Christianity in efforts to embrace the new society, but I think the line has been crossed.


Where is the reverence? Church is not meant to be a relaxed hour and a half of entertainment. Church should be consecrated and reflective. We are sinners coming before a holy God. Yes, there is a time for talking and fellowship – this is a crucial element of the Church, and I even believe that people can worship in more than one way. (Worship does not mean standing stiffly and mouthing the words on the screen. I won't get into my thoughts on worship right now; let's do one thing at a time.)

Do you see where I’m going with this?

Society has already compromised itself in efforts to accommodate everyone. Should the church follow suit, or is there something to be said about sticking to our guns, unwavering?

I’ve noticed this issue that my generation has with making decisions, and honestly it drives me a little crazy. I think there are two main reasons why we can’t decide:

First, without organization we can’t really make decisions. We need to have a certain level of structure and organization to see how our decision will fit in. Because post-modernism has done away with structure, we are all suffering in our indecisiveness.

Second, we believe we have the ability to pick and choose. Remember when someone was either completely Democrat or completely Republican? Either completely Calvinist or completely Armenian? Either completely against (anything) or completely for (anything)?  

I blame it on Panera’s Pick Two and other restaurants that have given us the option to take a perfectly decent menu and alter it so that it fits us. I also blame post-modernism. We believe we can pick the best characteristics to create something that appeals to our own personal values, our own perception of truth. In doing this, we are pleased, and the world around us is pleased because we aren’t saying “No” to any one way; we are remaining open.

Now, I’m just frustrated because I don’t know the answer to my original question: Is there a way for post-modernism and modernism to exist at the same time? Is there any place for someone like me – a structured-Calvinist-Bible-believin’ girl – in the post-modern world or am I going to get trampled?

Is it that we are too scared to stay with absolute truth because we don’t want our society to throw us to the dogs? Isn’t that exactly what Jesus said would happen?

If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. John 15:19

We are not of this world. We are not supposed to be loved by the world. We are not meant to bend and trade in our values for acceptance from our neighbors. We are meant to remain in Truth. One truth, not many.

So, I don’t have to feel bad about attending my traditional church service. I don’t have to feel bad for having my mind made up about my beliefs. We aren’t supposed to be fence-sitters. I don’t have to excuse myself for being a structured, rule-follower. Having your mind made up does not mean you are close-minded. Somehow, in remaining true to the more traditional standard of living (modernism), I will have love for the world around me.

I am convinced that there is a way to remain in the Truth while engaging with the post-modern world. I don’t think it has to be one or the other. I’m still ironing this one out. But for now, I believe it is our job to “not conform to the patterns of this world” as Paul so strongly urged the church in Rome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment