Saturday, May 6, 2017

Encouragement for your weekend

This morning I attended a funeral for a man I had never met. I realize this is not the most normal way to spend a Saturday morning. (The memorial service was held in our university auditorium, so I “attended” as a stage hand, which is my regular job.) The service was beautiful and made me wish I had known the man.

His name was Bill and he was a Young Life guy and a total Bob Goff. He was all about loving Jesus and loving people. He was only 60 years old and still had so much zeal. In her beautiful remembrance speech, his daughter said, He didn’t let life happen to him, he grabbed life by the horns.

A lot of times I feel like life happens to me. I feel like I’m caught in the waves as I allow myself to be continually swept under, instead of fighting to keep my head above the water. Life does happen to us; sometimes things out of our control severely dictate our life, but we can choose to “grab life by the horns” and make the most out of every situation. There is always the option of joy, no matter what.

Apparently, Bill used to say, Keep your stick on the ice.



I love that. I don’t know much about hockey. I remember the little field hockey unit in high school P.E. and I remember that I instinctively wanted to run with the stick off the ground. I missed the puck a lot and wasn’t a very good defender. 

Even with the lack of experience I still understand the principle of his quote: Always be ready; keep your head in the game. Don’t let Satan or the world come in and steal your puck, keep your stick on the ice, and keep playing. This could translate to Keep your eyes fixed on Jesus and do not stop running the race.

Life is too short to walk around with a furrowed brow. I know life is hard, people. But we are fighters, and apparently, we are hockey players too. Grab life by the horns and keep your stick on the ice! 

No comments:

Post a Comment