Saturday, May 13, 2017

Mother's Day

Today is Mother’s Day – a day to honor our moms, and I cannot think of a better way to honor my mother than with my words.

My mom is so good at what she does. She is a mama to many, she cooks and listens and learns. And she loves so unconditionally. Never have I experienced a love like my own mother’s.

She remembers my favorites and avoids my dislikes. She always has listening ears and is ready to give advice (even when I don't always want it). She is the glue that holds my crazy family together.

She isn’t perfect, but that’s part of what makes her so great. She never stays down for the count; that woman is a fighter. She’s not afraid to cry when she’s hurt, and she works hard to resolve conflicts.

Watching my mom laugh until she cries is one of the most beautiful images I have in my head. Her smile takes over her face, her laughter rising up from somewhere deep inside – from a well of joy that only He can provide.


My mom cares so deeply. She has always been my number one supporter in everything.

Like, that time when I thought I was going to move to New York City and she hopped on a plane with me and allowed me to drag her all over the city while I tried to “find myself.”

Or, that time when I moved to Minnesota, and she said okay and hopped on a plane and made sure I felt safe here.

My clarinet recitals – she was there for the tears and the notes and the celebrations. She has shared every single one of my blog posts. If that doesn’t scream number one fan, I don’t know what does.

She has always encouraged me to be me and has fought for me when I haven’t felt like fighting anymore. She has seen me at my very worst moments and still continues to love me.

Now that I’m older, I can go many days without talking to my mom. Part of that’s the time difference and part of that is the fact that I’m figuring out how to do life on my own. But every now and then I find myself in a quandary that only Mom can solve. So I FaceTime her and she's right there ready to be my mom, at any hour of the day. I am humbled that God made her MY mom.

Happy Mother’s Day, my dear Mother. I love you.



No comments:

Post a Comment