Monday, August 8, 2011

Life in Kigali- Day 8

I need to come up with a new title for my entries because (1) it's starting to get old, and (2) I don't want to continue to keep track of the days...imagine "Life in Kigali- Day 134".... Hopefully, the creative juices will start flowing in the title department pretty soon.

We visited a church yesterday morning. It is located diagonally across from the school, so we were able to walk to the church in about five or six minutes. I did enjoy the service, but I have to admit, I miss being at Friendly Hills (my home church). It's a nondenominational church. I think that I might prefer nondenominational churches because I believe that churches get too caught up in their denomination and they end up forgetting that eventually denominations won't even exist. We sang a lot of songs, some in English, some in Swahili, and possibly a few other languages..not quite sure. We sat in white, plastic lawn chairs, and  instead of a sermon, they had an open discussion about adoption. God has laid adoption and foster care on the pastor's heart, and he is wanting the families in the church to consider adoption too. I've been wanting to adopt a little baby girl practically my entire life, so I enjoyed the discussion. (I would like to go back on a different Sunday so that I can hear him preach.) The church lost power about four or five times during the service. No one stopped singing/ playing/ talking when the power went out, they just kept going and acted like it didn't even happen. It was kind of funny, but by the third time, we were used to it too.

In the afternoons (or in our free time) we unpack, hang pictures, and move things around in our house. Already, after only a week of being here, it feels more like a home rather than a house. I've met a few people my age, but so far I've just been hanging around the teachers helping them get ready for the start of school next Tuesday. I'll probably walk down the road after lunch to Woodlands to finish school supply shopping and get a few grocery items.

There is not too much else to report right now, but I will be sure to keep you updated on new and exciting things that are happening here in Kigali.

No comments:

Post a Comment