Saturday, August 6, 2011

Life in Kigali- Day 6

So far the days have been fun and enjoyable. The container that was shipped from the U.S. in early April arrived at the school on Wednesday night. We unloaded the container all day Thursday. There was a ton of new P.E. equipment, arts supplies, text books, filing cabinets, and instruments on the container. It was so exciting to open up a box and see all of the new supplies that we will get to use this school year. We had a few personal items on the container too, so it was really nice to be able to put a little bit of "home" into our new house.

Today we (The KICS teachers) went to the ABC...the African Bagel Company. The ABC is a little shop on the other side of town that sells bagels....duh. They also sell pizza and bread. It's open Monday-Saturday, but Saturday is the only day that they make donuts. These donuts are amazing. My expectations were really low, but after I had my first bite, I decided that these donuts were even better than Krispy Kreme. It's really quite impressive. After breakfast at the ABC, my family and I went downtown alone- meaning that we did not have anyone from KICS to help us communicate or figure things out. It was pretty overwhelming, and exhausting. This afternoon made me really miss home. (friends, family, the convenience of America) Up until now it has almost felt like a vacation. (I haven't really been here long enough for it to feel like a new home.) It really sunk in today: We moved here...we're not leaving anytime soon. Part of me really wishes that I would just wake up and things would be "back to normal", but deep down I know that's not really what I want. I like it here. God wants me and my family here, and so this is where we need to be.

Random things that you might like to know: 

~I sleep under a mosquito net
~I have to constantly remind myself to not run my tooth brush under the faucet
~Rwanda uses francs....not dollars
~The local Rwandans are friendly, and most of them speak a little bit of English, but it's still pretty hard to        communicate. (I'm working on their language: Kinyarwanda)
~Surprisingly, I don't miss ice cream...yet
~I miss being able to hop into the car and drive to a store and get whatever I need/want
~Everything takes a lot more time here
~I like the simplicity of life here in Africa, but I miss the craziness of life in America
~I love how I'm "forced" to exercise, because we don't have a car

I'm sure that I will have these days- days that I miss home. And that's okay. I enjoy being here, and before I know it, it'll be May 29th, and I'll be boarding a plane to fly back to North Carolina.

No comments:

Post a Comment