Friday, August 19, 2011

First Week of School? Check.

Whew! I made it through the first week of school. It was...normal. I have discovered that it doesn't matter if you live in America or Africa, 11th grade is definitely your hardest year.

I start my morning off, with my favorite teacher, in Comparative Government, then I move on to American Literature. After that, I have a 10 minute "Chai break", and no, we don't actually drink Chai. (It's just a little break to help you make it through the rest of the morning.) Following Chai, I go to Algebra 2, and then I either have P.E. or Bible, depending on if it's an A or a B week. Then, I head to Chemistry. After Chemistry I have lunch...that's right, folks, 5 whole periods before lunch! After lunch I have French 1, and then downstairs to Band for 7th period. And that concludes my school day. I do like the school, so far, and like I said, it's normal. All of the teachers expect a lot out of us, and they give homework each night. Side note: You know your going to a Christian school when all of the kids have a biblical name. It's kind of humorous actually. I have not met everyone yet, but I would venture to say that at least half of the kids have a biblical name.

Because I've been spending a majority of my day on school, I haven't been into the city at all this week. So, sadly I don't have any exciting stories to share.

I did ride another motto on Tuesday afternoon. Those things are so cool! I would motto everywhere if I could. Also on Tuesday, we celebrated our first African birthday. We had some balloons from the States, so we blew up a couple balloons and made a sign that said "Happy Birthday Mom!" She felt loved and appreciated,  even though it was simple.

It has rained almost every day this week, and I'm told that it's not the rainy season yet...okay, whatever you say. Today (Friday) is actually the first warm day of the week (and it's raining right now, even though the sun is out). The rainy season is not supposed to start until mid- September, I believe.

We are still looking for a house-helper, we did try one out yesterday, but she wasn't quite right for us. There are several pros to having a house-helper. In the States, we would never dream of hiring someone to do our chores, but here, it's a very normal thing. By hiring someone to work for us, we are investing in their lives. Also, we (and when I say "we", I mean my mom) can't do the laundry, and the dishes, and the ironing, and then cleaning, and the cooking by herself. It's not as easy to do things here as it is in America.

I will do my best to keep everyone updated on how things are going here. It may get a little tricky once school really gets going, and I also won't have quite as much to say, because I'll be spending a majority of my time in school, and as much as you guys want to hear about what's going on here, I'm sure you don't want to hear about school all the time. I'll try to take chances and be a little bit risky, to make for better stories!


No comments:

Post a Comment