Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Here We Go Again


Just a quick update before the routine begins again.

First semester ended on a good note.  My grandparents from Florida (my dad’s parents) arrived on December 12th.  On December 13th we had our Christmas concert with grades 5-12 participating.  It was a huge success, just like anything my father does.  Final exams went well for both Adam and I and then we enjoyed a few relaxing days with my grandparents as we showed them around Kigali.  I celebrated my eighteenth birthday and we had a wonderful Christmas.  My grandparents brought many American treats with them and so it was nice to have a somewhat familiar-feeling Christmas morning.  Five days later, on December 30th my other grandparents from North Carolina (my mom’s parents) arrived. Yes, two sets of grandparents at one time!  We enjoyed a second Christmas with these grandparents; they also brought us fabulous American treats from our friends and family in America. Then, on Monday (the 31st) we, all nine of us, drove down to Kibagora (the southern location of Lake Kivu) to take a break from the city.  We spent a few days by the lake, enjoying a true vacation.

Kibagora
My dad’s parent’s left yesterday and my mom’s parents are here until Sunday.  We’ve been showing my grandparents around and relishing our last few days before school begins again.  I’ve been able to read a book over this break (something I don’t usually have time for) and I even learned how to make a pie! Pie is very important on my mom’s side of the family. I made a total of three pies: two apple and one shoo-fly (a pie that’s been in my family for generations).  I like cooking and baking but cooking and baking over here is a whole different story. Making everything from scratch and using a gas oven that has Celsius temperatures are just two of the unfamiliar elements of cooking here in Kigali. Actually, today while I was making the shoo-fly pie with Meemaw, the power went off.  Thankfully, our oven is gas and not electric.

School begins tomorrow. Second semester will be very similar to the first one.  I’ll have the same class schedule, I’ll be teaching four clarinet lessons each week, and I’ll also be fulfilling my student council roles.  Along with that I’ll be preparing for my audition with Appalachian State University on February 2nd, as well as a recital with four other musician friends towards the end of February.  I have several extra music things to do this semester; of course I’m looking forward to them all.

I’m anxiously awaiting the arrival of January 25th – the day I receive my letter from Appalachian State University informing me of their decision.   I am ready to start second semester.  I’m ready to get back into the routine and I’m ready to finish high school and move on to new and exciting things.  And I’m looking forward to what God has in store for me this semester and for the upcoming years.

No comments:

Post a Comment